Sylvan Rocks Reservation Policy
- It is best to make reservations in advance. Our climbing courses generally all begin at 8AM (mountain time zone), therefore same day courses are difficult to arrange.
- We fill our calendar on a first come first serve basis and only have a limited amount of days and slots available.
- Unless otherwise arranged, we will meet you at Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park with all the rock climbing equipment needed for the day.
- We will provide all the needed rock climbing / mountain climbing equipment. You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own. If you do bring your own equipment, it is up to you store it correctly and to know its history, as there can be flaws that are not visible which can have devastating results.
- All participants must be at least 5 years of age.
- All groups with minors must have an adult participating in the course.
- It should be understood that rock climbing and the activities you are signing up for are not risk free activities. Before departing from the meeting area, liability waivers and/or acknowledgement of risk forms are to be read and signed by participants and/or legal guardians in the case of minors.
- Minors must have a parent or legal guardian present to sign our liability waiver / acknowledgment of risk, or make prior arrangements to bring completed paperwork with them. (Grandparents, aunts, uncles, troop leaders, etc. who are not legal guardians are not able to sign waivers for minors on a parent’s behalf.) Failure to prepare for dealing with needed forms and signatures may result in minors not being allow to participate, and being counted as no shows…and would still be charged for the course. Please help us help you, and call if you have any questions. Course prep info and liability waivers are available here for download if you would like to prepare them beforehand, but we will have them available the morning of your reservation.
Online bookings must be made at least 2 days in advance. NOT all of our courses are offered for online booking. If you have any questions, or would like to make a booking for something not offered online, please call 605-484-7585
Deposit and Refund Policy
Please understand that when you make a reservation it is similar to ordering live lobster at a restaurant….once you order it, we throw things into the boiling water, and it’s yours. So when you make a reservation we just want you to come out and enjoy your day on the rocks with our crew as you asked for, and we prepared for.
When making your reservation, a deposit of half the course cost will be applied to your credit card, and used to hold your slot on the calendar. This is refundable up to 30 days prior to your course date minus a $35 office fee.
If you do not show up on the day of your course or cancel less than 48 hours prior to the date of your course, the total balance due will be charged to the same card used for deposit, and staff will be paid as if you attended.
Up to 14 days in advance, you may reschedule your climbing trip for an alternate date within the same climbing season. A $35 office fee will be added to your invoice for a date change.
Reservations made with less than 48 hours notice are considered last minute, and will be charged the full amount of the course upon making the reservation, and this is not refundable.
The balance of the course cost is due the morning of your course. Usually our guests settle up while we are doing paperwork, and getting ready to go in the morning.
Should the weather be less than ideal, we expect you be dressed properly for the occasion, and know that we will go out in less than perfect conditions. Even in poor weather, plan meet up to assess our options. We sometimes need to delay our start time, and therefore our finish time. If we get weathered out of a course, a pro-rated refund will be made or the deposit refunded. If 2/3 of a day is completed then it will be charged as if the entire day was completed.
We will do all we can to get you on the rocks doing what you desire with the conditions given to us, but this is an outdoor activity and sometimes mother nature does not corporate. Especially for Devils Tower attempts, we strongly encourage you to build an alternate climbing day into your trip plans. If it is determined that your climbing skills are not developed enough to make a summit attempt, you may choose to climb in Custer State Park, or your guide will describe options at Devils Tower that do not involve the summit.
There are certain routes that we will not take guests on.
Sylvan Rocks Climbing School is not responsible for other costs which may be incurred, such as entrance fees to Custer State Park or Devils Tower National Monument, camping, lodging, or food.
Trip insurance is encouraged and can be purchased from several places online or from your favorite travel agent.
Contact us to plan your South Dakota Vacation. 605-484-7585